- posted by:
Questions for people against same sex marriage
Once again there are morons on Twitter who deserve to be mocked relentlessly because they seem to think their public forum discussions are protected by free speech and by “free speech” they think no-one can disagree with them.
Yeah well, when your general arguments are lower than your shoe size, mocking is all I have because logic sure as shit doesn’t work on these people.
Last night I attempted to get an individual to explain exactly why they felt gays should not allowed to be married, he of course was already married which told me judging by his easily refutable arguments that the crux of his belief was more “I want straight people to keep marriage all for themselves because I want special rights for straight people” much in the same vein most bigots want marriage kept between straight people.
Both arguments are poor and disregard the fact marriage has never been about sexuality, it’s about the sex of the parties involved and the number. Two bisexual people can get married providing they are of the opposite sex. People also seem to forget the age old “let’s not redefine marriage” become a null argument when interracial marriage became legal and men could no longer trade sheep and cattle for farmers daughters.
Now the thinly veiled” special rights for straight people” argument is made up of two components. 1) They think heterosexual couples are superior and 2) if gays can get married, people will no longer look at your wedding ring and assume you’re in a heterosexual relationship which reduces the argument to “I don’t want gays to get married because if they can get married, people may assume I’m gay“.
Faced with this idiocy I’m proposing a number of questions to people who are against same sex marriage:
1) If marriage is about procreating and raising children, why are childfree couples, sterile couples and the elderly allowed to marry?
2) In what way will same sex marriage devalue opposite sex marriage (answer without referring to special rights for opposite sex couples or the bible).
3) If same sex marriage denies a child a mother and father and you consider this a bad thing – should single people be banned from raising children? The existence of single parent families and same sex families proves that a mother and father family don’t need to exist in order for children to be happy and healthy.
4) If the institution of marriage is so sacred – why isn’t divorceil legal in Western countries?
5) If same sex marriage is only about sex and emotion – what is opposite sex marriage about?
6) If you believe we should only have civil unions and be grateful – will you trade your marriage for my civil union since it is good enough? If not, why is it good enough for same sex couples but not for opposite sex couples?
7) If marriage is a religious institution, why hasn’t secular marriage been banned in Western countries?
8) If religious organisations oppose same sex marriage – why are there plenty of churches in New York who are marrying same sex couples?
9) If churches, synagogues, mosques and temples will be forced to solemnize same sex marriages – why don’t the same sex marriage laws in New York or any other place where same sex marriage is legalised, state that all churches and religious organisations must solemnize same sex marriages?
10) If same sex marriage will lead to incest marriage laws – why is incest already legal in countries where same sex marriage is not?
11) If same sex marriage will lead to paedophilia, bestiality and incest marriage laws – why hasn’t opposite sex marriage lead to those things?
12) If you believe opposite sex marriage benefits society and same sex marriage does not – how does opposite sex marriage benefit society (answer without referring to “raising children” or “procreation” because you don’t need to be married or a couple to do those things)
13) How does a same sex couple getting married and having the rights and protections you already have, effect you in anyway?